Frances (Fanny) Jarman, the daughter of John Jarman and and his second wife, Martha Maria Mottershed was born above a shop in Elephant and Castle Yard in Hull on 8th February 1802. Her father, a lawyer turned actor, was involved in the Yorkshire touring company of Tate Wilkinson. Her mother was also an actress.
Fanny became a child actress and appeared with leading performers such as Sarah Siddons and Dorothy Jordan. Eventually she progressed to principal parts, appearing as Juliet in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. By 1822 she was appearing at the Crow Street Theatre in Dublin. Two years later she appeared with William Macready , who was considered the country's leading actor. It has been claimed that this "was the beginning of a long professional collaboration and personal friendship." In 1824 her mother retired and so she became the breadwinner of the family.
In 1827 Fanny Jarman appeared at Covent Garden as Ophelia along side Charles Kemble in Hamlet. This was followed by a production of Merchant of Venice where she took the role of Portia whereas Edmund Kean played Shylock. One critic commented: "She does all correctly - elegantly - well - but there is still something wanting. It is a performance - a picture - not the thing itself... we rather deem her an actress of study than of impulse." The drama critic of The Morning Chronicle suggested that one of her problems was that her legs were not as pretty as some actresses.
An Irish critic argued: "Is it that Miss Jarman's name has never been uttered by the lips of scandal that she has been thought less interesting by the Cockneys? Or is it that she would not condescend to those fantastic tricks and meretricious graces which have always a charm for the gross minds of a metropolitan mob?" Blackwood Magazine also supported Jarman by claiming that she had "grace, elegance and beauty". The writer added that along with Fanny Kemble and Frances Kelly they "are as much respected for their viryues in private life, as they are admired for their genius on the stage."
In 1829, Fanny Jarman moved to Scotland, where, in 1831, she met Thomas Lawless Ternan. They married on 21st September 1834. They immediately travelled to America where they toured for the next three years. On 26th February, 1835, he wrote to a friend: "Our success has been brilliant - indeed far more so than our most sanguine and best friends could possibly have anticipated. We played a short engagement at Boston lately, and the receipts of the theatre, for two nights, were much greater than even the Kembles had drawn, within the same period. We cleared there, in that time, upwards of $2,200, say £500 sterling. We are equally fortunate here, and the same in every town we have appeared in. we return to Boston on 11th March, to perform fifteen nights more, and I have no doubt a second engagement will be even more productive than the first. So great was the excitement on the last night we played there that the boxes were sold by auction, and double prices obtained in almost every instance."
A daughter, Thomas Lawless Ternan was born in 1835. This was followed by Maria Ternan (1837) and Ellen Lawless Ternan (1839). After the birth of the third child the family moved to Newcastle upon Tyne, where Ternan became manager of the Theatre Royal, his wife was the principal actress. The three daughters also appeared in productions.
In 1844 Fanny's husband had a mental breakdown and entered the asylum at Bethnal Green. As Claire Tomalin , the author of Dickens: A Life (2011) has pointed out: "It was a grim place, and treatment of those with General Paralysis of the Insane - this was the diagnosis of Ternan's condition - was necessarily dreadful and humiliating. Since there was no cure, restraint was the only course available; some patients were kept chained in the early stages, when they might be violent or suicidal, though as the disease took its course this became unnecessary. In the last stage they became emaciated, incontinent, unable to feed themselves, with contracted limbs and bedsores; and so died, either of a fit, pneumonia, diarrhoea or exhaustion." Ternan died in 1846.
Fanny Ternan and her three daughters continued to tour. In the early 1850s she worked with Samuel Phelps at Sadler's Wells and in 1853 took part in a royal command performance at Windsor. By 1855 the family settled in London and worked for Charles Kean at the Princess's Theatre.
1857 Wilkie Collins and Charles Dickens wrote The Frozen Deep. The inspiration for the play came from the expedition led by Rear-Admiral John Franklin in 1845 to find the North-West Passage. Dickens offered to arrange its first production in his own home, Tavistock House. Dickens also wanted to play the part of the hero, Richard Wardour, who after struggling against jealousy and murderous impulses, sacrifices his life to rescue his rival in love.
Dickens, who grew a beard for the role, also gave parts to three of his children, Charles Culliford Dickens, Kate Dickens, Mamie Dickens and his sister-in-law, Georgina Hogarth. Dickens later recalled that taking part in the play was "like writing a book in company... a satisfaction of a most singular kind, which had no exact parallel in my life". Dickens invited the theatre critic from The Times to attend the first production on 6th January, 1857 in the converted schoolroom. He was very impressed and praised Kate for her "fascinating simplicity", Mamie for her "dramatic instinct" and Georgina for her "refined vivacity".
The temporary theatre held a maximum audience of twenty-five, four performances were given. A private command performance, with the same cast, was also given for Queen Victoria and her family on 4th July and three public benefit performances were given in London in order to raise money for the widow of Dickens's friend, Douglas Jerrold.
Charles Dickens approached his friend, the actor and playwright, Alfred Wigan, about putting on a production of The Frozen Deep in Manchester. This time Dickens wanted the women to be played by professional actresses. Wigan suggested the names of Frances Jarman and her three daughters. The play was given three performances in the Free Trade Hall with Ellen playing the part that was originally performed by Kate Dickens. During the production Dickens fell in love with the eighteen-year-old Ellen Ternan.
The author of The Invisible Woman (1990) has argued: "A bright, penniless girl of eighteen who found herself admired by a rich older man had good reason to be excited. The role laid down by her society were suddenly reversed: having been always powerless, she now began to be in command. In Nelly's case the man she might command was also brilliant and famous, a charming and entertaining companion, and in a position to transform her life, which in any case held few counter-attractions." Dickens wrote to Wilkie Collins claiming that "there never was a man so seized and rended by one spirit".
Two months later Dickens moved out of the master bedroom and now slept alone in a single bed. At the same time he wrote to Emile De La Rue in Genoa, saying that Catherine was insanely jealous of his friendships and that she was unable to get on with her children. He wrote to other friends complaining of Catherine's "weaknesses and jealousies" and that she was suffering from a "confused mind".
Dickens provided considerable financial assistance to the family and was able to travel to Italy with her daughter, Frances Eleanor Ternan, who wanted to become an opera singer. He also provided a house at 2 Houghton Place, Ampthill Square. This was transferred to Ellen Ternan when she reached the age of twenty-one. Kate Dickens later told her friend, Gladys Storey: "She (Ellen) had brains, which she used to educate herself, to bring her mind more on a level with his own. Who could blame her... He had the world at his feet. She was a young girl of eighteen, elated and proud to be noticed by him."
It has been suggested by Edmund Wilson that Estella in Great Expectations is based on Ellen and that Fanny Jarman is Miss Havisham. Claire Tomalin disagrees, arguing: "Mrs Ternan makes an unconvincing Miss Havisham, but that's not the only reason for questioning this version. From what we know of the Ternans, of Nelly herself and the whole situation, it is at least as likely that she was nervous, confused and uncertain as that she was indifferent or frigid."
Between 1862 and 1865 there is no evidence that Ellen Ternan lived in England. She did not even attend her sister's wedding. We do know that Charles Dickens spent a lot of time during this period travelling between London and Paris. His son, Henry Fielding Dickens, claimed that Ellen was taken to France when she became pregnant and had "a boy but it died". This is supported by Kate Dickens who said that Ellen had a son "who died in infancy". It is impossible to check this story as the birth records for the 1860s were destroyed during the Paris Commune in 1871.
Ellen Ternan next appears in the official record on 9th June 1865, when she was with her mother and on a train that crashed at Staplehurst. Fanny and Ellen were in the front coach, which was the only one that did not leave the tracks. The rest of the coaches rolled down the bank and ten people were killed and 40 injured.
The following day Dickens wrote to the station master at Charing Cross: "A lady who was in the carriage with me in the terrible accident on Friday, lost, in the struggle of being got out of the carriage, a gold watch-chain with a smaller gold watch-chain attached, a bundle of charms, a gold watch-key, and a gold seal engraved Ellen. I promised the lady to make her loss known at headquarters, in case these trinkets should be found."
In 1866 Fanny returned to the stage in The Master of Ravenswood and The Corsican Brothers . Her last years were spent in Oxford, at The Lawn, St Giles's Road East, the home of her daughter Maria.
Frances Jarman died of acute bronchitis on 30th October 1873.
(1) Thomas Lawless Ternan , letter to a friend (26th February, 1835)
Our success has been brilliant - indeed far more so than our most sanguine and best friends could possibly have anticipated. We played a short engagement at Boston lately, and the receipts of the theatre, for two nights, were much greater than eve n the Kembles had drawn, within the same period. So great was the excitement on the last night we played there that the boxes were sold by auction, and double prices obtained in almost every instance.
What is the Capital of France?
Tourism has always been a major source of income for Paris.
Paris is the capital city of France. The city has an approximate area of 41 square miles with a population of 2,206,488 people as of 2018. Contrary to popular belief, the name of the city did not come from the Paris in Greek myths. Instead, the name Paris is derived from the city’s initial inhabitants who were part of the Celtic Parisii tribe. Sometimes, the city is called the City of Light for two reasons it was among the first cities to adopt gas for lighting the streets and its role during the Age of Enlightenment.
The "Fighting Sixth:" 6th U.S. CavalryDavid M. Gregg was promoted to the rank of Captain and assigned to the 3rd U.S. Cavalry at the beginning of the Civil War before being transferred to the 6th a few months later.
Known today as the “Fighting Sixth,” the 6 th United States Cavalry was established by President Abraham Lincoln less than a month after the bombardment of Fort Sumter. Originally raised as the 3 rd United States Cavalry, the regiment augmented the five mounted units already serving in the United States Army. With its headquarters located in Pittsburgh, the regiment was recruited from communities in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and western New York. Among its original officers were William W. Averell, David M. Gregg, John Irvin Gregg, August Kautz, and Charles Russell Lowell.
David M. Gregg was promoted to the rank of Captain and assigned to the 3rd U.S. Cavalry at the beginning of the Civil War before being transferred to the 6th a few months later.
On August 3, 1861, the regiment was re-designated by an act of Congress to the 6 th U.S. Cavalry. That fall, eight companies moved to Washington D.C. Assigned to the Army of the Potomac, the regiment experienced heavy fighting in Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.
During the initial stages of the Battle of Williamsburg in May 1862, the 6 th U.S. engaged elements from the Hampton and Wise Legions around Fort Magruder. As part of the Reserve Brigade, it splashed across Beverly Ford on June 9, 1863, to engage enemy cavalry around Brandy Station. Elements of the regiment supported the 6 th Pennsylvania Cavalry in their assault on the Confederate horse artillery positioned at St. James Church. Later in the day, the 6 th U.S. fought Brig. Gen. W.H.F “Rooney” Lee’s brigade along Yew Ridge. Of the 254 men engaged at Brandy Station, the regiment lost 67 killed, wounded and missing. A little less than two weeks later at the Battle of Upperville, the Sixth engaged Brig. Gen. Wade Hampton’s brigade for control of the Ashby Gap Turnpike. Due to confusing orders, the regiment did not properly form and rushed to the attack. Difficult terrain and misalignment caused the charge to break down before it could reach Hampton’s position. Through the efforts of the Civil War Trust, over 3,000 acres have been preserved at these battlefields.
On July 3, 1863, outside Gettysburg, Brig. Gen. Wesley Merritt detached the 6 th U.S. to Fairfield, Pennsylvania. Merritt had received reports of a Confederate wagon train in the area and sent the regiment to investigate. Moving through the town, the Sixth ran into Brig. Gen. William E. “Grumble” Jones’s brigade. Heavily outnumbered, the regiment was driven from their position. The Sixth lost 232 of the 400 men it took to Fairfield. The Sixth encountered elements from Jones’s brigade once again at Funkstown, Maryland four days later and suffered another 59 casualties. The combined losses at Fairfield and Funkstown crippled the Sixth. For the remainder of the war, it was assigned to escort duty at Cavalry Corps headquarters.
Following the Civil War, the regiment was assigned to duty in Texas. For the next several years, it had the task of combating Comanches and outlaws, along with assisting civil authorities in their responsibilities. In 1871, the regiment transferred to the Department of Missouri where it continued to engage Native American tribes and fought in the Red River War. On November 8, 1874, Company D of the Sixth and Company D of the 5 th U.S. Infantry attacked and destroyed Gray Beard’s Cheyenne village on McClellan’s Fork of the Red River. Two captives, Adelaide and Julia German, who had been captured on their family’s journey to Colorado, were recovered during the fight.
The following spring, the unit was transferred to Arizona. For the next nine years, the Sixth engaged hostile Chiricahua, Warm Springs, and White Mountain Apaches. Company I participated in General George Crook’s expedition to the Sierra Madre Mountains in the summer of 1883. It traveled nearly 1,000 miles and returned 400 Apaches to their reservations.
The Sixth left Arizona for New Mexico in July 1884. In the fall of 1886, one of the regiment’s officers, 1 st Lt. Charles B. Gatewood helped induce the surrender of the great Chiricahua Apache chief, Geronimo. As a result of the Ghost Dance movement, the 6 th U.S. left the Southwest in December 1890. Three days after the Wounded Knee tragedy, three companies skirmished with the Sioux near the White River in South Dakota.
Adna R. Chaffee's military career began with the 6th U.S. Cavalry in 1861 and culminated in his appointment as Army Chief of Staff in 1904.
Two officers who served in the regiment would go on to serve as Army Chief of Staff. Adna R. Chaffee enlisted in Company K on July 22, 1861. Appointed Lieutenant in March 1863, he was wounded at the Battle of Fairfield. Chaffee participated in Crook’s expedition to Mexico during the Apache Wars and led the Chinese Relief Expedition. Eventually appointed Lieutenant General, he held the post from January 1904 to January 1906. Unlike Chaffee, John J. Pershing graduated from West Point in the Class of 1886. He served in New Mexico, the Wounded Knee Campaign and commanded the American Expeditionary Force in France during World War I. With the rank General of the Armies, Pershing served as Chief of Staff from July 1921 to September 1926.
John J. Pershing served with the 6th U.S. Cavalry in the west following his graduation from West Point in 1886. He served as Army Chief of Staff from 1921 to 1926.
At the outbreak of war with Spain, the regiment was assigned to Brig. Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s cavalry division and served in Cuba. On July 1, 1898, the Sixth took part in the assault on San Juan Heights. The regiment served in China during the Boxer Rebellion, where the 3 rd Squadron participated in the storming of Peking.
During the First World War, the regiment went to Europe. However, it did not participate in any direct combat. On New Year’s Day, 1944, the regiment was reorganized and re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troops, 6 th U.S. Cavalry Group, Mechanized, and the 6 th and 28 th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons, Mechanized. Assigned to Gen. George S. Patton’s Third Army, it fought in Normandy and the Ardennes. For its conduct in the Harlange Pocket, the regiment received the Presidential Unit Citation, the highest award given to an army unit.
The unit continues to serve the United States to this day. The 2 nd Squadron fought in Operation Desert Storm, Operation Enduring Freedom, and, along with the 6 th Squadron, Operation Iraqi Freedom. The regiment’s motto, Ducit Amor Patriae, Led by Love of Country, rings just as true for the members of the unit today as it did for their predecessors over 150 years ago.
Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Jarman, Frances Eleanor
JARMAN, FRANCES ELEANOR, subsequently Ternan (1803?–1873), actress, the daughter of John Jarman and Maria Mottershed, whose acting name before her marriage was Errington, is said to have been born in Hull in February 1803. Her mother, a member of Tate Wilkinson's company in York and an actress of merit, made her first appearance in Bath as Lady Lucretia Limber in ‘Policy,’ 10 Dec. 1814. In the same season the name of Miss Jarman appears on 23 May 1815 to the character of Edward, a child, in Mrs. Inchbald's ‘Everyone has his fault.’ Genest, who mentions Miss Jarman's name only in the cast, says ‘she acted very well.’ She had previously for her mother's benefit recited Southey's ‘Mary, the Maid of the Inn.’ Many juvenile parts, including the Duke of York, Myrtilla in the ‘Broken Sword,’ &c., succeeded. On 12 Dec. 1817 she was Bellario in ‘Philaster,’ and ‘acted very prettily,’ according to Genest, who adds that she was still very young and ‘the part was rather too much for her.’ Agnes in the ‘Orphan of the Castle’ followed on 7 Nov. 1818, Selina in the ‘Tale of Mystery’ on 12 Dec., and Betsey Blossom in the ‘Deaf Lover’ on 6 Jan. 1819. During this and following seasons she played among other parts Cicely Copsley in ‘The Will,’ Miss Neville in ‘Know your own mind,’ Juba in ‘The Prize,’ Orasmyn in ‘The Æthiop,’ Perdita, Marchesa Aldabella in ‘Fazio,’ Lady Grace in the ‘Provoked Husband,’ Jacintha in the ‘Suspicious Husband,’ Jeanie Deans, Tarquinia in ‘Brutus,’ Statira in ‘Alexander the Great’ (to the Alexander of Kean), Lady Teazle for her benefit, Geraldine in the ‘Foundling of the Forest,’ Rebecca in ‘Ivanhoe,’ Miranda, Julia in ‘The Rivals,’ Ophelia, Juliet, Louison in ‘Henri Quatre,’ Cordelia to the Lear of Young, Virginia, Mrs. Hardcastle, and Cherry in the ‘Beaux' Stratagem.’ During the season of 1820–1 she was ill, which fact, Genest says, ‘cast a damp on several plays,’ and she only recommenced to act for her and her mother's benefit on 19 March 1821, when she played Violante in ‘The Wonder’ and Fiametta in the ‘Tale of Mystery.’ In the following season she was quite recovered, and added to her repertory Amy Robsart in ‘Kenilworth,’ Sophia in the ‘Road to Ruin,’ Letitia Hardy, Julia in ‘Two Gentlemen of Verona,’ and was the original Lady Constance Dudley in Dr. Ainslie's ‘Clemenza, or the Tuscan Orphan,’ 1 June 1822. On 20 Oct. 1822 she made, under Harris of Drury Lane, as Letitia Hardy in the ‘Belle's Stratagem,’ her first appearance at Crow Street Theatre, Dublin. She is said to have possessed a pleasing and expressive countenance, a graceful and dignified carriage, and a voice remarkable for its sweetness and exquisite modulation. She was a good singer, and sprang into immediate popularity. She acted in various Irish towns, and had a narrow escape from an abduction. On 7 Feb. 1827, as Juliet to the Romeo of C. Kemble, she made at Covent Garden her first appearance in London. So disabled by nervousness was she that her performance was almost a failure. Lady Townley, Mrs. Oakly, Mrs. Beverley in ‘The Gamester,’ and Juliana in ‘The Honeymoon’ followed, and did little to enhance her reputation. The critic of the ‘New Monthly Magazine,’ presumably Talfourd, devotes two columns to her performance of Juliet, Lady Townley, and Mrs. Beverley, praises her appearance, notes an absence of provincialisms and mannerisms, and calls her in tragedy picturesque rather than passionate. As Imogen, 10 May 1827, which proved her best tragic character, she advanced in public favour. On 22 May 1827 she was the original Alice in Lacy's adaptation, ‘Love and Reason.’ In the following seasons she was seen as Lady Amaranth in ‘Wild Oats,’ Desdemona, Beatrice, Belvidera in ‘Venice Preserved,’ Leonora in ‘The Revenge,’ Portia, Lady Anne in ‘Richard III,’ Camilla in ‘Foscari,’ Perdita, Isabella, Fanny in the ‘Clandestine Marriage,’ Lydia Languish, Mrs. Haller, and Mrs. Sullen, and enacted original characters in various now-forgotten plays. As Amadis in Dimond's ‘Nymph of the Grotto,’ 15 Jan. 1829, she made a success such as induced Madame Vestris, by whom the part had been refused, vainly to reclaim it.
Miss Jarman's first appearance in Edinburgh took place on 3 Nov. 1829 as Juliana in ‘The Honeymoon.’ She was, in Scotland, the original Isabella in Scott's ‘House of Aspen,’ 17 Dec. 1829, and also played Desdemona and other parts. By Edinburgh literary society she was well received. Christopher North, in the ‘Noctes Ambrosianæ,’ besides praising her acting, says that she was ‘altogether a lady in private life.’ In Edinburgh she met Ternan, an actor ‘forcible rather than finished,’ a native of Dublin, who in 1833 had played in Dublin Shylock and Rob Roy. She married him on 21 Sept. 1834, and the following day started with him for America. In the course of a three years' tour she visited with success the principal cities from Quebec to Mobile. She afterwards played in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Liverpool, Dublin, and Birmingham, and was engaged in 1837–8 by Bunn for Drury Lane. In 1843 she was with her husband in Dublin. In October 1855 she played at the Princess's Paulina in Charles Kean's revival of the ‘Winter's Tale,’ and soon afterwards took part, with Charles Dickens and other literary celebrities, in the representation at Manchester, in the Corn Exchange, of the ‘Frozen Deep’ of Wilkie Collins. After quitting the stage about 1857–8 she returned to it again in 1866 to take the part of blind Alice in the representation by Fechter at the Lyceum of the ‘Bride of Lammermoor.’ She died at Oxford in the house of one of her married daughters in October 1873. More than one of her daughters obtained reputation as actress or vocalist. On 10 June 1829, for Miss Jarman's benefit, a sister, Miss Louisa Jarman, made, as Eglantine in the ‘Nymph of the Grotto,’ her first appearance.
[Information from private sources Oxberry's Dramatic Biography, new ser. vol. i. Actors by Daylight Genest's Account of the Stage Dibdin's Hist. of the Edinburgh Stage Hist. of the Theatre Royal, Dublin, 1870 Forster's Life of Dickens.]
E.) Thomas JARMAN, son of Robert JARMAN.
While I do not know the ancestry of Anne BERRYMAN, wife of Thomas JARMAN beyond her father, this section is inserted as material for looking for prior generations.
Capt. Benjamin BERRYMAN was born about 1680, died in August, 1729, and had sons Benjamin who was born before 1700, James, Maximillian, John who died in 1727 and whose only son was Gilson BERRYMAN, William whose only son was Newton BERRYMAN, and Newton and Henry who died without heirs. He did have an Anne, an Elizabeth, and a Frances who could have been called Fanny, thus having daughters with three of the four names of the daughters of Joseph BERRYMAN, our ancestor on this line, but those were common enough names it's not too probative.
John BERRYMAN, father of Capt. Benjamin, came to America in 1654 and died about 1680. The other John BERRYMAN had orphans in Overwharton Parish, Stafford, by 1724. This could be John BERRYMAN who married Elizabeth JUDKINS in 1710. There was a William BERRYMAN who came to America in 1648 and a William BERRYMAN born in 1660 (Colonial Residents of Virginia's Eastern Shore). There was another born about 1602, who bought 150 acres in Accomak County in 1635, and whose only heir is purported to be his sister Jane JACKSON he was dead by 1644. There was a Christopher BERRYMAN who received 1260 acres in New Kent for transporting 25 people in 1685. There was an Augustin BERRYMAN who came late 1735 or early 1736 with wife Ann and sons John, Joseph, William and three daughters.
There had been Onslow County North Carolina connections between the BERRYMAN family and the JARMAN family since the deed witnesses by both Samuel JARMAN and Robert BERRYMAN described above, an event which occurred in 1741. About a year earlier, on April 17, 1740, William MELTON, Sr., conveyed to Robert BERRYMAN for £300 640 acres on Sanders Creek. Witnesses were Anthony LEWIS, Richard MELTON, and Stephen HOWARD. [COMMENT-12]
Robert BERRYMAN is mentioned in Deed Book A, Page 16, as witness to an April 17, 1741 transaction between Stephen HOWARD and John COOPER and in Deed Book A, page 47, as a witness to a FENSINGER to FENSINGER transaction. Robert sold half of his 640 acres when at Book A, page 57 he deeds to Nathaniel POWELL 320 acres for £250. Witnesses are Adam HOWARD, Arthur POWELL, and William MELTON. The date of this transaction is February 23, 1743.
On March 17, 1743, Robert BERRYMAN conveys to Arther POWELL for £60 320 acres on New River at Two Pole Creek, with witnesses William MELTON, Jr., Nathanel POWELL, and Edmund HOWARD.
The last reference to Robert BERRYMAN I find is on March 5, 1744, when he, Job BROOKS, and Nathaniel POWELL witness a transfer from Jacob POWELL to James DUNSON, recorded at Book B, page 11.
There was also a Benjamin BERRYMAN who lived in North Carolina at the appropriate time to be a grandfather to Berryman JARMAN. In fact in Gates County, North Carolina, the 1784-1787 census shows three BERRYMAN families: Benjamin BERRYMAN had no white males between 21 and 60, two under 21 or over 60, 2 females, and no negroes. Edward BERRYMAN had one male between 21 and 60, two under 21 or over 60, two females, and one male and one female slave. William BERRYMAN had one white male 21-60, 2 under 21 or over 60, 5 females, and no slaves. I have not been able to tie any of the possible ancestors to Berryman JARMAN, nor have I been able to tie this line to my BERRYMAN research on the Berryman page.
By way of an aside to people closely related to me, the "Berryman" in the name Charles Berryman BREEDLOVE comes from this direction, not from the Benjamin BERRYMAN of Westmoreland County, Virginia, who is described in the BERRYMAN Chapter. That line goes through Irma Lorene RICHARDS BREEDLOVE who married a brother of Charles Berryman BREEDLOVE.
Daughter of Cornelius DABNEY and Sarah JENNINGS, wife of John Maupin.
In the 22 October 1764 Hanover Will of Cornelius DABNEY, he identified three sons: John, William, and his deceased son, Cornelius. By name he identified three daughters Frances DABNEY Maupin Elizabeth DABNEY Maupin and Anne DABNEY Thompson. By inference of naming three sons-in-law, he identified his deceased daughter, Mary [Mrs. Christopher HARRIS] an unidentified daughter who married Matthew BROWN, an unidentified daughter who married William JOHNSON. Therefore, through this 1764 Will, it can be ascertained that Cornelius DABNEY and his wife Sarah, had at least nine children.
Frances' father was Cornelius D'Aubigne and her mother was Sarah Jennings.
!Source: Ancestral File (TM) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints July 1996 (c), data as of 2 January 1996 Repository: Family History Library 35 N West Temple Street Salt Lake City, UT 84150 USA GEDCOM error: 2 DATE 2 Jan 1996
From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.
?? Line 7524: (New PAF RIN=5380) 1 ENDL 08JUK1932
Source of Information: Colonial Families in the US., Vol.II by Mackenzie.
!Ancestral File internet,LDS Church
Ancestral File Number:<AFN> 3247-34
Line 2046 from GEDCOM File not recognizable or too long: ENDL 08JUK1932
!FamilySearch (AFN:1ZB7-BFF) FamilySearch IGI Family Ordiance Record downloaded 3/12/2003 jdb
!NOTE: William A. LaBach, Ancestory of Christopher Harris (1725-1794) LABACH Project Version 1549
What Is the History of Ratatouille?
Ratatouille originated in the Provençal region of France around the 18th century. A Disney movie called "Ratatouille" popularized the dish in American pop culture in 2007.
Ratatouille is a thick stew primarily consisting of eggplants, zucchini and tomatoes. These ingredients are typical of the Provençal region of France. The dish, which is especially renowned in Nice, France, carries the full name ratatouille Niçoise because of that.
The name ratatouille stems from two French words, “ratouiller" and "tatouiller." Both are expressive forms of the French verb, touiller, meaning “to stir up." The name didn't occur in print until 1930.
There is some debate about the exact origin of ratatouille, though. While some food historians consider it a typically French Provençal dish, others claim it could have come originally from the Catalonian or Basque regions of France. Zucchini and tomatoes came from the Americas, while eggplant came from India.
No seminal recipe exists for ratatouille. Some cooks like to dice the vegetables, while other prefer to slice them. The vegetable sizes should be large enough to show distinction but small enough that diners can scoop up one of each ingredient with a fork. In addition to the primary ingredients, ratatouille includes onions, olive oil, garlic and herbes de Provence for flavoring. Some cooks also add summer squash and bell peppers.
Frances Jarman - History
It is obvious that the Farmville Golf Club’s makeshift 6-hole golf course on Rice Road in 1928 led directly to the driving range at Longwood Estate. The golf course was so close to Longwood, the young ladies couldn’t help but notice it was attracting gobs of young men everyday. They surmised that if Longwood had a driving range, it would attract some of those young men. President and Mrs. Jarman, who championed the whole notion of purchasing Longwood Estate as a recreation center for the students, also championed the idea of a driving range to encourage more young ladies to take advantage of the recreational opportunities at Longwood.
Even in its present closed state, The Manor house adds a touch of class to the golf club. Part of the house dates from 1840.
Helping the young ladies get that golf driving range was one of the last things Mrs. Helen Wiley Jarman (1871-1929) ever did. She died suddenly of a heart attack on Jan. 27, 1929. Her husband, Dr. Joseph L. Jarman (1867-1947), was president of the State Teachers College (STC) for a record 44 years. He guided it through Prohibition, Woman’s Suffrage, WWI, the Ruffner Hall fire of 1923, the purchase of Longwood Estate in 1928, the Depression and WWII. He also guided it through two name changes — the State Normal School for Women (1914) and the STC (1924) — but he just missed seeing its name changed to Longwood College in 1949.
In 1939, the STC hired Mr. Carroll Brown, golf pro from Roanoke, to give golf lessons to students and faculty. In the fall, he had 45 students and was so successful, he was kept on until the outbreak of World War II. He organized both Winter and Spring Golf Associations. Lessons were on the Longwood Golf Course in the spring and in the STC gym in the winter. Transportation was furnished every hour during the week to and from the golf course.
Ironically, the opening of the 9-hole course at Longwood in 1938 led directly to the demise of the Farmville Lake course in 1940. Now things have come full circle. The Manor Golf Club, where on some of the greens you can still make out the remnants of the old Farmville Lake greens, has contributed to the closure of the Longwood Golf Course as of July 1.
The first attempt to build The Manor by the Community Development Authority in 1999 failed due to the recession. A subsequent attempt, by the Poplar Hill Community Development Authority, was successful and construction of the 18-hole championship course began in Oct. 2004, although the official groundbreaking did not occur until Thursday, Nov. 11.
According to golf course architect Rick Robbins, who has designed courses all over the world, Poplar Hill was a dream site. “Very, very seldom do I go to a thousand-acre plus parcel of ground and have not a single major utility line easement. Usually we have big towers coming across it and high line wires, gas easements and things like that or you have to travel ten miles by dirt road to get there.”
The Manor Golf Club finally had its grand opening on Wednesday, June 14, 2006. It was worth the wait because it was chosen as one of the “Best New Golf Courses of 2007” by Golf Digest Magazine. After a rough start, the financial support of both Hampden-Sydney College and Longwood University now guarantee its success. It may even be expanded to 27 holes sometime in the future.
Surprisingly little has been written about the beautiful old home for which The Manor Golf Club is named. At the time, the Virginia WPA conducted its “Historical Inventory” in Prince Edward County in 1937-38, only homes thought to be at least 100 years old were written up. Since the oldest part of The Manor was built about 1840 by James D. Wood (1782-1844 H-SC 1815), it just missed the cut. It was originally known as the “Wood Plantation home” because he and his wife, Frances Watkins Wood (1790-1848), lived there. In 1860, Capt. John H. Knight (1829-1914 H-SC 1848), a CSA officer, bought Poplar Hill and lived in the Wood home with his wife, Cornelia Bland Knight (1831-1899). In 1876, Walter G. Dunnington (1849-1922) married the captain’s daughter, India Knight (1857-1960), who was reared in the Wood home from the age of 4. In 1897, Walter “dramatically renovated” the Wood home, and it became known as the “Dunnington home,” even though the Knights continued to live there. (In 1836, Walter’s father, James William Dunnington (1816-1887), settled with his bride, Sallie Madison (1816-1872) in Farmville. He became a serious player in the tobacco business about 1853 and founded the Dunnington Tobacco Company in 1870. Both Walter and Walter’s son, J.W. Dunnington (1890-1971 H-SC 1911), followed in his footsteps.)
Even less has been written about an older home at Poplar Hill, one that, had they known about it, the Virginia WPA would have been happy to inventory. The Woodson home was built shortly after Richard Woodson (1705-1774) was awarded his 1743 land grant. It was a four-room house he and his wife, Ann Madelin Michaux Woodson (1710-1796), lived in. It was older than the town of Farmville (1798), or H-SC (1776), or even Prince Edward County (1754), but it was in the way, so Walter Dunnington had it moved back, over the hill, and used it to house farm hands. After surviving for more than 200 years, it was bulldozed during construction of the golf course.
In 1932, Hampden-Sydney College hired Prof. Francis Ghigo (1908-1983), a 1929 graduate of Davidson College, to run the Spanish Department. But he was also interested in golf, so he organized a golf team in 1934. H-SC did not have its own golf course, so Coach Ghigo made arrangements to use the 9-hole course at Farmville Lake for training and the Boonesboro course near Lynchburg as their home course. That first season, the H-SC golf team played intercollegiate matches against the University of Richmond, Davidson, N.C. State, Wake Forest, W&L and VPI. They won only one of those matches but it was a significant one — VPI.
When the Farmville Lake course closed in 1940, H-SC used the Longwood Golf Course for practice and stuck with Boonesboro as its home course. While at H-SC, Prof. Ghigo completed his MS and Ph.D. at UNC. In 1959, after 27 years at H-SC, Dr. Ghigo resigned and returned to Davidson, where he taught for another 15 years, retiring in 1974.
The golf program languished even before Coach Ghigo left, mostly because travel was curtailed during WWII, but it was subsequently taken over in 1960 and revitalized by Coach Bob Thalman, who was also the football coach. When Briery Country Club opened in Keysville in 1959, H-SC began using it as their home course.
H-SC has never had a golf course, but it did have a golf driving range beginning in the 1980s. The range was dedicated Oct. 6, 1990, in honor of Lt. Col. Gustav H. Franke (1916-2002), math professor and golf coach at the college from 1964 to 1981. One of the professors who lived across the road from the driving range complained to Weenie Miller, the Athletic Director at that time, that he was finding golf balls on his lawn and was afraid of being hit in the head. Wennie’s immediate reply was, “Jack Nicholas couldn’t do it!” Quick as a wink, the professor replied, “You’re right, because Jack Nicholas knows what he’s doing.” A new lacrosse/soccer practice field eventually replaced the Gus Franke driving range.
Hunting the Viking Great Heathen Army
In 865 AD Britain was invaded by the Great Heathen Army an alliance of Scandanavian warriors determined to conquer the kingdoms of East Anglia.
History's Most Famous Battles
War! Something so ruinous has the power to both bring communities together whilst conversely ripping them apart. Many have taken place, but why are.
Aftermath: Life in the Fallout of the Third Reich
After 6 years of war, countries around the world were in a state of ruin in 1945, not least the losing side. The people of Germany had been under the.00:47:02
Gold and Glory at Hampton Court
On 7 June 1520, Henry VIII of England and François I of France met at the Field of Cloth of Gold. For three weeks on English soil in Northern.
History of Freemasonry
John Dickie joins Dan from the History Hit Archive to discuss the international story of an organisation that now has 6 million members across the.00:36:26
Artemis of Ephesus: The Great Mother Goddess
An incredibly popular goddess, characterised in statues of her by a vest of bee hives, or are they breasts … bull scrotums? In this episode Tristan.
The World According to Obama Official Ben Rhodes
Ben Rhodes has served at the very pinnacle of politics in his role as deputy national security adviser in Barack Obama's Whitehouse and seen what it.
They Called it Passchendaele
Lyn Macdonald is revered as the great chronicler of the human experience of the Western Front. She recorded interviews with more veterans of the.
On 22 June 1941 Hitler unleashed Operation Barbarossa the biggest military operation in human history. More than 3 million men of the Axis poured.00:49:18
Dirty Love: The Ancient Greek Novel
The novel, and in particular the romance genre, is at the heart of a billion dollar industry, but when did they originate? In this episode, Professor.00:29:13
To go berserk, meaning out of control with anger or excitement: the phrase originates from stories of the Berserkers, but what do we really know.00:47:41
The Emperor: The extraordinary Charles V
Professor Geoffrey Parker is one of the world’s leading historians of early modern Europe. He has examined countless surviving written sources.
Tragedy at the Scottish Crannog Centre
From the Neolithic period to the early 18th century Crannogs were a feature of Scottish, Welsh and Irish lakes and estuaries enabling a unique way of.
From Airman to Attorney General: RAF Navigator Johnny Smythe
Beginning with his birth in 1915 in Sierra Leone, the life of John Henry Smythe OBE MBE is almost unbelievable. From becoming a navigator in the RAF.
Black American Struggle: Riot or Revolution?
The 1960s and early 1970s saw civil unrest and violence in the United States on a scale not seen since the civil war between black residents and the.00:43:53
Ancient Brittany with Sir Barry Cunliffe
Stretching out from the north west of France, Brittany has long been as identifiable with the Atlantic Ocean as with its continental neighbours in.
Mary, Queen of Scots
Mary, Queen of Scots, returned to the news headlines when the rosary she carried to her execution in 1587, was recently stolen from Arundel Castle.00:43:57
John of Gaunt
Born in 1340 as the younger brother of the Black Prince, John of Gaunt's life is captivating. John was a brave leader, first setting foot on the.
Voices of Waterloo
206 years ago today, 60,000 men were slaughtered in the Battle of Waterloo. Napoleon Bonaparte's French army was finally defeated by an almighty.
The Battle of Waterloo
After 12 years of battles against the French Republic’s various neighbours, this was Napoleon’s final stand. Although many associate its name.00:51:07
The Sun King in Love: Louis XIV and his Mistresses
Louis XIV ruled France for more than 72 years, the longest recorded reign of any monarch of any sovereign country in history. Despite the devotion of.
History Hit brings you the stories that shaped the world through our award winning podcast network and an online history channel.
Expand/collapse Papers , 1826-1945.
Mason genealogy (about 25 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 1
Mason papers, 1830-1919 (about 55 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 2-4
Papers, 1830-1862, primarily family correspondence of Nathaniel Mason of Summit, N.C., including four letters, 1862, from his son, Thomas Williams, with the Confederate army in Virginia an order, August 1831, to Nathaniel Mason to assemble his militia to surpress a rumored slave insurrection a letter, December 1862, to Thomas W. Mason from his overseer about plantation management papers, 1869-1904, of T. W. Mason of Garysburg, N.C., and his wife, Elizabeth Gray Mason (Betty), and children, with some about visiting health resorts scattered business papers of T. W. Mason two letters, 1918-1919, to T. W. Mason from his cousin, S. W. Arrington, with the American Expeditionary Forces duirng World War I in England and France giving detailed descriptions of his convoy to England and life there and in France, especially a visit to Blois.
Thomas W. Mason writings (76 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 5-10
Essays, orations, poetry, and other writings dealing with literature, history, philosophy, ethics, and contemporary politics, mostly 1850s, while Mason was a student at the University of North Carolina. Included are sixteen poems and "Journal of a Day," about his life as a student.
Digital version: Class Composition of Thomas W. Mason, : "The Journal of a Day"
Digital version: Class Composition of Thomas W. Mason, : "The Eagle Doesn't Catch Flies"
Gray genealogy (about 20 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 11
Extracts from wills, censuses, and other records in Virginia and North Carolina.
Amis-Atherton genealogy and papers (28 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 12-13
Papers, 1826, related to the estate of William Amis of Northampton County, N.C. copies and extracts of wills and legal records sketch, 1895, about Northampton County, including the 1834 Senate election between W. D. Amis and W. B. Lockhart Colonial Dames application of Elizabeth Cameron Blanchard through her Amis ancestors miscellaneous clippings and notes Atherton family materials.
Long genealogy (about 130 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 14-18
Correspondence typed extracts from obituaries, wills, church registers, newspapers, and other records Ellen Long Daniels materials notes, jottings, photographs, and data on related lines.
Photographs #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." PF-4005/1
Long papers (22 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 19
Chiefly 1883-1884, including letters to Bettie Mason Long from Lemuel Mckinney Long before and after their marriage and from her sister Sallie a letter from T. W. Mason to L. M. Long approving his marriage to Bettie legal documents, receipts, business correspondence, all before 1883 and after 1887, including a record Nicholas Long's real property, 1829-1882, and a list of money owed the estate of J. J. Long.
Burton genealogy (56 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 20-21
Correspondence extracts from articles typed genealogies, including data on the English Burton line.
Burton papers (23 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 22
Family corresondence, primarily romantic letters, 1839-1841, 1859, from Andrew Joyner on a business trip to Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C., to his wife, Sarah Welsh Jones, widow of H. G. Burton, in Weldon, N.C. letters, 1868, to her granddaughter, Mary Alston, from a friend in Chesterfield, Va. scattered indentures, bills, and business papers.
Jones genealogy (about 125 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 23-26
Correspondence extracts from wills, marriage bonds, parish registers, obituaries, newpaper articles about Epps, Burton, and Jones family members copies of writings by and about Willie Jones and John Paul Jones miscellaneous notes.
Jones papers (3 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 27
Sympathy note, 1861 letters, 1868 and undated, about settling an estate (perhaps that of Mary B. Epps) school notebook, ca. 1814-1815, kept by Richard A. Jones, son of William Jones, while attending Princeton.
Hill genealogy (58 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 28-29
Extracts from wills, parish registers, newspapers, magazines, and other publications materials relating to the Blount family writings by and about Thomas Norfleet Hill (1838-1904).
Montfort genealogy (about 35 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 30
Clippings, writings, and toher materials aobut Joseph Montfort (1724-1776) extracts of wills, articles, and genealogies miscellaneous notes.
McKinnie genealogy (12 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 31
Correspondence miscellaneous notes extract from Hills of Wilkes County, Georgia by L. J. Hill (1923). 12 items.
Gordon genealogy and papers (4 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 32
Genealogical notes receipt, 1824, of John Gordon letter, 1864, about family and war news.
Arrington genealogy (5 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 33
Miscellaneous genealogical notes.
Historic Halifax, N.C. (9 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 34
Address by Sally Long Jarman to the North Carolina Colonial Dames meeting in Halifax, N.C., 29 April 1938 articles and essays about Halifax County history miscellaneous historical articles.
Grace Episcopal Church (2 items) #04005, Series: "Papers , 1826-1945." Folder 35
History of Grace Episcopal Church, Weldon, N.C., 1947 selected baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials copied from the vestry book.
Expand/collapse Items Separated
Processed by: Manuscripts Department Staff, October 1975
Encoded by: Mara Dabrishus, November 2004
Funding from the State Library of North Carolina supported the encoding of this finding aid.