Tarrant AK-214 - History

Tarrant AK-214 - History

Tarrant

(AK-214: dp. 7,460;1 338'6"; b. 60'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.6
k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3';; cl. Alamosa; T. C1-M-AV1)

Tarrant (AK-214), was laid down under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2168) on 4 December 1944 by the Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wisc., launched on 25 February 1945, sponsored by Miss Agnes Iareon; and commissioned on 18 September 1945, Lt. Comdr. F. A. Simmons, USCGR, in command.

Tarrant and her Coast Guard crew reported to the Commander in Chief, Atlantic Fleet, on 24 September as available for her shakedown cruise. However, since World War II had ended, she was ordered to report to the Commandant, 8th Naval District for disposal.

Turrant reported on 30 September and was decommissioned and returned to the War Shipping Administration on 21 November. Tarrant was struck from the Navy list on 6 December 1946.


We are not able to screen or test patients for COVID-19.

If you are concerned, please call your local health department or the THR Hotline in the forms provided in the following buttons.

Southwest Pulmonary Associates operates offices in Dallas, Colleyville, and Plano.

Mission, Vision & Values

The physicians and staff of Southwest Pulmonary Associates thank you for your interest in our practice. Our services include prevention, treatment and care of pulmonary diseases and sleep related breathing disorders. We strive to provide the most advanced pulmonary and critical care services and to compassionately meet the needs of our patients. 

What We Are

Since 1982, Southwest Pulmonary has grown into a 39-provider group of board certified pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine specialists. Our physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners have privileges at major hospitals, including Baylor Medical Center at Colleyville, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospitals of Dallas, Plano and Allen.


Tarrant AK-214 - History

United States Maritime Commission C1 and C1-M Type Ships used in World War II, Korean War and Vietnam War

C1 Type
The C1 types were the smallest of the 3 original types designed by the United States Maritime Commission and were intended to be used on routes that did not call for fast ships. 173 were built between 1940 and 1945. Both the C1-A and C1-B were built with either steam geared turbine or diesel motors.

The C-1-S-AY1 were modified transports (Loading Ship Infantry, Large) for Great Britain.

Photo of C1-B type ship

U.S. Maritime Commission photo of SS Reuben Tipton
Launched December 1940 Federal Ship Building and Drydock, Kearny, N.J.
Torpedoed October 23, 1942

C1-M Type
The C1-M-AV1 was designed for short coastal runs, including 65 ships designated Alamosa class for Navy "island hopping" in the Pacific.

C1-ME-AV6 Type was a diesel electric with 2,200 horsepower.

C1-M-AV8 Type had a controllable pitch propeller. One was planned as this type, 5 ships were launched as C1-M-AV1 Type and completed for the French government as C1-M-AV8.

If you would like photocopies of our information about a ship, please send a donation (Minimum $25 US payable to T. Horodysky) to support our research and Web Site to:

T. Horodysky
usmm.org
27 Westbrook Way
Eugene, OR 97405

C1-M Length overall 412.25 feet 417.75 feet 338.5 feet Beam 60 feet 60 feet 50 feet Depth 37.5 feet 37.5 feet 29 feet Draft

27.5 feet 18 feet Gross tons 5,028 6,750 3,805 Deadweight tons, steam 6,240 7,815 ---- Deadweight tons, motor 6,440 8,015 5,032 Speed 14 knots 14 knots 11 knots Horsepower

C1-MT-BU1 Type

The 4 ships of this type were built as lumber carriers. They were 309 feet long, 49 foot beam, 3,133 gross tons, twin screw diesel.


Understanding the Need and Complexity of the Solution - During 1990 and 1991 about 100 community volunteers working as part of a United Way Stay-In-School Task Force studied the dropout problem in Fort Worth ISD's two most seriously effected high schools. The longitudinal completion rate for these schools, comparing starting 9th grade students with those who graduated four years later, was less than 50%. Starting with an exhaustive review of national dropout prevention research, the two-year study concluded that students drop out of school, not because of any single reason, but because they become entangled in a web of problems. The list of issues might include poverty, low self-esteem, alcohol & drug abuse, gang involvement, family conflict, abuse, neglect, bullying, teen pregnancy, teen parenting, criminal justice involvement, violence, victimization, low educational expectations, poor health, homelessness, hopelessness, and other factors. Successful dropout prevention therefore, requires a holistic response to all these factors. The study further concluded that no school district or any other single organization could possibly address this array of concerns alone. Therefore, the dropout problem was not a school problem, but a community problem that could only be successfully addressed by the whole community working together. These conclusions precisely paralleled the national research and described exactly the values and mission of the national organization known as Communities In Schools which had recently captured the attention of the Governor and Texas Legislature. In 1986 the Texas Legislature began appropriating seed funding to replicate this innovative and successful model across Texas.

The Birth of Communities In Schools of Tarrant County - In the Fall of 1991, seventeen members of the original United Way Task Force came together to hear a presentation by the Communities In Schools (CIS) State Director. They confirmed that CIS was the solution that the Fort Worth community was seeking. They filed for 501 C (3) non-profit status.

Year One - On May 1, 1992 the new CIS program hired a Chief Executive and over the course of the next year, business operations were established, and four program staff delivered case management services to 200 students from the two high schools involved in the United Way study. Only three of the students dropped out leaving a stay-in-school success rate of over 98%. Progress toward the initial CIS goal of establishing program credibility was well under way.

United Way Partnership - After three years of United Way community initiative funding and successfully completing the United Way partnership review process, CIS Fort Worth was awarded United Way partnership status.

Selection As National Pilot Site - In the fall of 1995, CIS Fort Worth was selected as one of five national recipients of a five-year Department of Labor demonstration grant to implement a &ldquoQuantum Opportunities&rdquo pilot project at Paschal High School. This model, developed by the Ford Foundation, was a workforce-centered derivative of the CIS model which employed five case managers to serve 100 students for their entire high school career.

The First Five Years - Over the first five years, the number of schools doubled to four, then seven, then eight, then nine. By the end of the fifth year, CIS program credibility had been clearly established. Throughout this growth, stay-in-school success rates stayed consistently above 98%.

Beyond Fort Worth - In 1997 and 1998, as the CIS program expanded from nine to twelve, then eighteen schools, CIS established programs in Everman ISD and Arlington ISD. This prompted the historic change in name from Communities In Schools Fort Worth to Communities In Schools of Greater Tarrant County.

Characteristics of the Mature Program - Fully implementing the concept of Licensed Social Workers operating the CIS model from inside schools takes time, but creates a new way of doing business for the whole social service community. Rather than asking troubled students to seek out the help they so badly need from a confusing variety of disconnected agencies throughout the community, the help goes to the students where they are. at school. The Tarrant County social service and health community has responded eagerly to this opportunity. Each year over 80 CIS service provider partners bring their programs to CIS schools.

In the 15th year of operation in 2007, Mike Steele, the founding executive of CIS in Tarrant County was named Chief Executive of the Year by the CIS state office in Austin. In 2014 CIS was named by the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce as one of the top three best workplaces for women among mid-sized Fort Worth companies.

Research &ndash In December 2008 results of an independent research study conducted by ICF International and funded by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) documented the results of dropout prevention programs all over America. Only 21 programs had independent research confirming their results in prevention dropouts and increasing graduation rates. Of those 21, only Communities In Schools had research proving that it both lowered dropout rates and increased graduation rates. The study also noted the CIS was the least expensive of the 21, that it was scalable and that schools with CIS programs experienced reduced teacher turnover.

Today, as we celebrate our 25th anniversary &ndash CIS is the only single-purpose stay-in-school program in Tarrant County. Based on consistent and predictable outcomes school districts now pay at least half of the cost for their CIS programs. CIS now serves 8 school districts in Tarrant and Parker counties and 47 schools. The number of students intensively case managed is about 4,300 and CIS is touching the lives of over 35,000 students annually. Demand for new CIS programs from school districts now outstrips CIS&rsquos capacity to raise the needed matching funding while maintaining all existing sites. Also, the CIS supporting Foundation celebrated its one million dollar milestone. The Foundation&rsquos mission is to sustain CIS for our community for as long as it is needed.

Mike Steele, the founding Chief Executive retired after 25 years of service in May 2017 and Lindsey Garner, former Chief Operations Officer, has taken the helm.


About

Our story is a shared history. The Tarrant County Black Historical and Genealogical Society is a nonprofit public service organization founded in April 1977 by 21 charter members. In 1974, Lenora Rolla was serving on various Bicentennial Committees. Rolla was concerned that the history of Tarrant County&rsquos Black citizens should be recognized during the celebrations. She found that none of the local universities or libraries held any significant material available to the public while important archival material existed in private collections. Thus, the Society was founded.

Our Purpose

The Tarrant County Black Historical and Genealogical Society is a non-profit organization whose mission is to locate, collect, analyze, organize and preserve African-American historical contributions that will be used to educate, empower and interpret African-American experience through art, history and culture in the areas of education, science, business, politics, sports, art in all media, music, and performing arts in Tarrant County. This history is significant in the developmental heritage and growth of Tarrant County for a diverse community of learners.

Our Vision

Research, collect, preserve and share the genealogy and the history of African American contributions in Tarrant County, Texas and beyond!

Branding Statement

To be the premier African American historical and genealogical research organization, that provides the communities of North Texas with the keys/access to identify their past/roots/heritage.


Tarrant County

Blue line print of survey map of Tarrant County, Texas, showing rivers, creeks, original land grants or surveys, cities, towns, and railroads. Scale [ca. 1:166,667] (5000 varas to the inch).

Physical Description

1 map : photocopy 36 x 33 cm.

Creation Information

Context

This map is part of the collection entitled: Abilene Library Consortium and was provided by the Hardin-Simmons University Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 261 times, with 6 in the last month. More information about this map can be viewed below.

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this map or its content.

Creator

Publisher

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this map as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this map useful in their work.

Provided By

Hardin-Simmons University Library

The Richardson and Smith libraries at this private Baptist university in Abilene provide materials necessary to support the research of students and faculty. They provide books, federal documents, maps, scores, recordings, and periodicals which are on open shelves and readily accessible to all.


Tarrant and Dallas Counties

Map of the Prairies and Lakes region covering Tarrant, Dallas, and Ellis County, Texas. Scale ca. 1:133,334 (4000 varas per inch).

Physical Description

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. June 27, 1853.

Context

This map is part of the collection entitled: GLO Historic County Maps and was provided by the Texas General Land Office to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 1123 times, with 69 in the last month. More information about this map can be viewed below.

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this map or its content.

Creator

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this map as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this map useful in their work.

Provided By

Texas General Land Office

Established in 1837, the General Land Office consists of land grant records and maps dating to the 18th century relating to the passage of Texas public lands to private ownership. Still important to Texans because of their legal value, the materials are also now highly regarded by genealogists, historians, archeologists, and surveyors.


PropertyScout.io provides instant access toover 140 Million properties in U.S.

Ultra-Fast Property Record Research Results

Tired of wasting time looking through dozens of websites to find the property data you need? Our magical software provides the property data instantly with the click of a button. You’ll be delighted with how fast you can get on with your day.

Confidently Verify Applications

Pre-screen clients prior to submitting a property for underwriting or their application for approval. Feel confident the information you're submitting is complete and accurate.

Find Property Owner by Address

Do you have headaches searching multiple maps, county databases, and assessors? websites for accurate information? We put precise property details right at your fingertips such as property ownership, square footage, and year the home built, and much more. Our data sources provides you with the most up-to-date ownership details or info, and gives it to you with one click of a search button.


OneVote

Public service for concerned individuals tracking their home state and Congress. Personal monitoring list with saved searches from the national legislative search engine and private RSS feeds to stay informed. Receive monitored email alerts, create simple dynamic reports sharable with friends and colleagues.

Introductory subscription service for more active individuals that require tracking legislation from multiple states or expanded to unlimited monitoring list slots. Gaining additional user tracking data fields and simple bill classification groups. Generate PDF reports and alerts for easier printing and sharing.

Unlimited centralized national monitoring for single or multiple users. Custom issue management and expanded tracking information including executive summary, regional assignments, and the Insights browser. Advanced dynamic reporting available in PDF, Word & Excel along with daily monitoring and search email alerts.

Data API service providing structured JSON streams including detailed bill information including history, full bill text, sponsor, roll call votes and meta data. Advanced Push API subscriptions to assist driving third party legislative applications and development with near real-time remote replication of the national database.


Firm History

Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, LLP traces its roots back more than 200 years to 1812, when Alexander Scott Bullitt opened his law practice. Wyatt has changed significantly since those frontier days and is now a full-service regional law firm with offices in Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky New Albany, Indiana and Memphis and Nashville, Tennessee. Some of its accomplishments, include:

  • Taking the lead on “bet-the-company” litigation for a Fortune 500 company.
  • Closing a billion-dollar transaction for one of the country’s largest ESOPs.
  • Serving as counsel to some of the region’s landmark real estate developments, ranging from GE Appliance Park to the FedEx Forum.
  • Representing a consortium of business people known as the “Louisville Sponsoring Group” that helped launch the professional boxing career of “The Greatest,” Muhammad Ali, after his gold medal victory in the 1960 Olympics. (Click here to view Gordon B. Davidson’s biography.)

The current generation of the Firm was formed through the mergers of the practices of Tarrant, Combs & Bullitt and Wyatt, Grafton & Sloss in 1980 Orbison, O’Connor, MacGregor & Mattox in 1984 Brown, Sledd & McCann in 1985 Gilbert & Milom in 1989 and McDonnell Dyer in 1995. Background on each of these predecessor firms can be found below.

Louisville
Tarrant, Combs & Bullitt began its history in 1812 with the founding of the Bullitt Firm. One of his grandchildren, William Marshall Bullitt, the former solicitor general of the United States, practiced with our Firm from 1895-1957. The presiding partners in the Firm at the time of its merger with the Wyatt firm were John E. Tarrant and former Governor Bert T. Combs. Governor Combs was also a former United States circuit judge, and justice of the Kentucky Supreme Court.

Wyatt, Grafton & Sloss was founded in 1947 as Wyatt & Grafton. The presiding partners in the Firm were Arthur W. Grafton, Sr. and Wilson W. Wyatt, a former mayor of Louisville who served in President Truman’s cabinet, as presidential emissary under President Kennedy, and as lieutenant governor of Kentucky.

New Albany
Orbison, O’Connor, MacGregor & Mattox was founded in 1879 as Jewett & Jewett. The presiding partner in the Firm when it merged with Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs was Telford B. Orbison, a past president of the Indiana State Bar Association.

Lexington
Brown, Sledd & McCann was founded in 1952 as McCann, Sledd, & McCann. In the intervening years, it practiced under the name of Brown, Sledd & McCann, P.S.C. The presiding officers of the Firm when it merged with Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs were William H. McCann and Herbert D. Sledd, a past president of the Kentucky Bar Association and secretary of the American Bar Association.

Nashville
Gilbert & Milom was founded in 1951 as Barksdale, Hudgins and Osborne, and evolved into Gilbert & Milom in 1983. The presiding partners in the Firm when it merged with Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs were Harris A. Gilbert and Michael W. Milom.

Memphis
The Memphis McDonnell Dyer merger in October, 1995 made Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, LLP the largest firm operating in the Kentucky-Indiana-Tennessee region. This expansion into West Tennessee was part of the Firm’s plan to become a state wide presence in Tennessee and a more diverse regional law firm.


Watch the video: Ak-47 Russian 1975 model