Ansonia is situated on the Naugatuck River in New Haven County. A variety of industrial manufacturers call the city home.Ansonia was settled in 1651 and named for its founder, Anson G. It became a borough in 1864, a township in 1889, and a city in 1893.Ansonia was a frontrunner in the production of brass in the 1840's. "Ansonia Clocks" were manufactured in Ansonia until 1878, when the company shiftedits headquarters to Brooklyn. The rights to use the Ansonia name were purchased by a Lynnwood, Washington, company that now manufactures them.Local history is on display at the David Humphreys House, operated by the Derby Historical Society. The closest hospital is Griffin Hospital in neighboring Derby.